Friday, November 03, 2006

Jail gives you a headache...

You know what, it "sucked" to be in jail, and my 2 days/2 nights in jail gave me the biggest headache I ever had in my life. It could have been thinking about my situation, but it's definitely aggregated by all these guys talking all night about the types of weed they've smoked, what other people call weed, how it feels when it's traced with something else, how they didn't learn their lesson and are back there, ad infinitum....

There is not a big African-American or Latin population where I live now, unlike where I spent the last 16 years. I'm sure if I saw the prisons over there, it would be full of Latinos and blacks, but here we had a lot of white folks in for the stupidest things. My biggest surprise was these two really young kids, in for armed robbery - one of them looked like he was still in high school. Another young guy was brought in, with his girlfriend, for walking with a glass of beer in their hands, they had just left a party that had spilled to the street. What a waste of my tax money! Another one was quite wasted, and that was probably why he decided to stick his pocket knife in his sock at the airport, instead of putting it in with checked luggage. Well, he won't be making it to his girlfriend's brother's wedding tonight.

The rest of the people were there for various drug offenses, and some for not appearing in court for previous offenses. Unpaid tickets brought in a few immigrants that didn't understand what was going on. I looked pretty out of place too, so when they asked me what I was in for, and I said "assault," they immediately knew it was for "D.V." - domestic violence. In fact, I found out that some of the regulars had been in here before for that offense as well.

We were a sad bunch, in the joint. You don't actually get "3 hot meals a day" as they say, so everyone would get happy to be given someone else's extra food. I didn't eat much, so was able to treat folks to most of my food. (Turns out two days of not eating much does not actually cause you to lose weight, as I found out.)

While waiting for my court appearance, this old black guy in the same room told a funny story about his arrest. He was caught with goods he stole from a supermarket; I think he had some meat, shrimp, some batteries, basically food and stuff he could sell. The funny part was that he wasn't caught on the spot, there was no security guard as such. A cashier got suspicious, and when this guy got out, the cashier followed him. While he was protesting his innocence, the batteries and a few other things fell on the floor from his jacket and pants! So when the cops came and took him, there was the obvious proof that he had done it, but since nobody had actually seen him take these, his case was "under investigation" only. He thought this was a sign from God that he should go straight, so he wanted a lawyer that would arrange drug rehabilitation for him. He had already been to a few of those, discussing the good ones with another one like him.

I was arrested on Saturday night, and was not out until Monday late afternoon. In the meantime, my wife found me a lawyer and was preparing to bail me out. She didn't have to, as not having a prior record and a job convinced the judge that she could release me on "Personal Recognizance". I plead "not guilty" and a pre-trial hearing is coming up next week. Originally it would be in another two weeks, but my wife, in trying to reverse what she has caused, spoke to the prosecutor and mentioned that she will soon be out of town. If the judge agrees, I can be back in the house while she's away, instead of continuing to pay for a hotel efficiency.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home